Sunday, March 05, 2006

Inspired to do more

I have never really given much thought to doing family history work. I know that it's important to do but I guess I don't know where to start... Anyway the point of this post is to explain my feelings when listening to our Relief Society President talking about her father who passed away. Our President has been trying to encourage the sisters to focus more on researching our own families, so that we can share with our children experiences and challenges our ancestors faced.

She spoke about how much she loved her Father, but never really told her own children about who he was. Her Father was in Honalulu at the time Pearl Harbor was bombed, he was a airplane mechanic for the Navy. Her Mother told her that he assisted in cleaning up the mess that was left behind. The President mentioned that her Father never told her this because it may have been a painful memory to drudge up again. He wasn't proud or boastful that he was there. This was something she never would have knew if her Mother hadn't told her.

I want to be the kind of Mother that my children can come to and ask questions about who they are and where they come from.

I also need to start doing temple work for those in my family who are gone. I know of a few tools I can use to start. Hopefully I can get some help through the ward. People say you can become addicted to it because it becomes so fascinating.... We'll see.

No comments: